Kelly Ihry C.N.P., is a board-certified lactation counselor. She is an invaluable asset to breastfeeding mothers by reassuring them when breastfeeding is going well, and she provides information and support to help prevent and manage common breastfeeding concerns. As a lactation consultant, Kelly Ihry C.N.P., can teach you about the risk factors that may affect your breastfeeding experience, basic position of your baby, preventing and managing common questions about breastfeeding, storage of milk, breast and nipple pain and care, latch of your baby, how to continue breastfeeding when mother return to work, and instructions for challenging situations.
Our own ObGyn Taryn McEvoy, MD, shares her experience as a working mom who breastfeeds and offers tips to managing breastfeeding at work. Read her blog...
Maternal benefits of breastfeeding:
- Increased weight loss after pregnancy
- May reduce your response to stress
- Reduced risk for both breast and ovarian cancer
- May reduce risk of heart disease
- Saves money, as formula is estimated to cost about $1000 per year
- Breast-fed babies have a reduced risk of sickness, which result in fewer clinic visits and or hospitalizations.
Infant benefits of breastfeeding:
- Breast milk is more easily digested than formula
- Provides protection from various illnesses until the baby can be fully immunized
- Decreased risk of lung diseases
- Decreased risk of ear infections
- There are potential long-term benefits after completion of breastfeeding. These benefits include a decreased risk of obesity, heart disease, allergies, type one diabetes, and bowel disease and childhood cancers.
Websites We Recommend